You know not to feed your pet chocolate but did you know about these deadly common foods that just might end up on the floor of your kitchen on a daily basis?
Here’s what to watch out for.
Grapes and Raisins
The hazard for dogs is not just the small round shape that may get lodged in their throats – grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs. Ingesting even just one grape can cause sudden kidney failure. All breeds of all ages are at risk although not all dogs have this reaction. Be safe and rather find another treat.
Garlic and Onions
Stay away from seasonings if you are cooking a homemade dog or cat treat. Both garlic and onions are toxic, although garlic is five times more poisonous than onions. According to the US Pet Poison Helpline, “Onion and garlic poisoning results in oxidative damage to the red blood cells (making the red blood cells more likely to rupture) and gastroenteritis (e.g., nausea, oral irritation, drooling, abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea).” All forms of garlic and onions are dangerous to dogs and cats, including fresh, powdered, dehydrated, and cooked.
As few as six macadamia nuts can be fatal to a dog, reports Pets Web MD. Whether fresh or in cookies, keep these nuts up high and away from your dog’s curious nose.
Eating avocado can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. However, in birds and rodents the food can cause death. The chemical persin, which is found in the leaves, seeds, and actual fruit of the avocado, is the cause of the destruction.
Has my pet been poisoned?
Symptoms of pet poisoning can vary from vomiting and diarrhea to pale gums and a racing heart and excessive thirst. If your pet is showing any signs of sickness call your veterinarian immediately.