Domestic queen Martha Stewart’s homemade dog biscuits:
Makes about 5 dozen (60 biscuits)
1 cup flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup brewer’s yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock, plus more for brushing
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, wheat germ, yeast and salt; set aside
3. Place oil in a large bowl. Gradually add stock and flour mixture together. Mix well.
4. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to about 1 cm thick. Shape biscuits using a dog-bone-shaped cookie cutter or by cutting around a store-bought dog bone with a butter knife. (Make biscuit sizes that are appropriate for your dog’s size.)
TIP: You can spell out your dog’s name or a message in the dough with a toothpick (wet the toothpick first so it won’t stick).
5. Line baking trays with grease-proof paper or baking sheets and place biscuits on trays.
6. Bake biscuits for 10 minutes. Brush with stock; rotate baking sheets, and bake for a further 10 minutes more. Turn off oven, leaving door closed. Let dog biscuits stand in oven to dry completely for about 1 1/2 hours.
TIP: Wrap as a gift, or store in an airtight container at room temperature.
– Adapted from source – marthastewart.com
– Image of dog biscuits: Shutterstock